Rice recipe with chicken curry and coconut milk
The recipe that I bring today is very special to me. It is chicken curry cooked with coconut milk and served with basmati rice.
I discovered it a few years ago when I traveled to India and Nepal. I fell in love with this dish from the beginning because of its simplicity and its exquisite flavor.
During this trip we tried many variations of this Indian recipe. They were all based on the same ingredients: some kind of curry, basmati rice, vegetables and if you were lucky some chicken or beef.
During our stay in a hostel in the Indian city of Bhaktapur we did a cooking workshop with one of the cooks from the hostel. It was there that I learned how to prepare this recipe for chicken curry with coconut milk accompanied by rice. I also discovered that the curry has many uses in cooking .
When I came back from this fabulous trip I cooked this dish for my family and friends. Of course, I removed the spicy part since in these Asian countries they are very used to spicy, unlike my country.
They all loved it! Since that day, this recipe has been on my list of favorite Asian dishes and today I want to share it with you so you can enjoy it too.
It's really easy to prepare. We only need some vegetables, a little fried tomato, some chicken breasts, curry powder, coconut milk and rice, preferably basmati type, as an accompaniment to the dish.
On this occasion I have not added spice. However, if you like it a little spicy you can add a chilli.
If you like chicken curry recipes you can't miss our curry chicken dish with cream .
Let's start cooking Indian style!
Don't you have any ingredients? Here are other similar recipes
How to make curry chicken with coconut milk
- Cut the onion into julienne strips and the garlic clove into very thin slices.
- In a frying pan we add a splash of olive oil and add the onion and chopped garlic.
- Cook the onion and garlic until we see that they begin to brown. Meanwhile, we can cut the chicken breasts into cubes. We recommend that the pieces have a medium size. However, you can cut the breasts as you prefer.
- Once the onion begins to brown, add the chicken pieces and cook everything together. If necessary, add an extra jet of oil and stir.
- Let cook over medium heat until the chicken is cooked. It is important to turn all the pieces to get a homogeneous cooking. Next we add the fried tomato and stir.
- After 2-3 minutes we add the 3 tablespoons of curry. The amount of this species is variable depending on the intensity of curry taste that we prefer.
- We remove everything 5-6 minutes and add the coconut milk. We continue stirring for about 10-15 more minutes over low heat. The time depends on how long it takes for the coconut milk to reduce and a thicker sauce remains. During this time we can take the opportunity to boil a pot of water where we will prepare the rice.
- Finally we can taste the sauce and add a little salt if necessary.
- When the water is boiling, add the rice. It is preferable that it be basmati to give it a more Indian touch. We wait about 10-15 minutes until it is cooked.
- We heat the curry for 1 minute and serve it on 2 plates. I like to serve the rice separately and let each diner serve the amount they like.
Variations of the rice dish with curry and coconut milk
There are many variations of this dish. We can use different types of curry or add vegetables such as pepper, zucchini, eggplant or carrots to the recipe.
We can also replace the chicken with beef or if we want a vegetarian dish we can use tofu. In addition, we can also prepare the recipe with cream instead of coconut milk.
The point is to be creative in the kitchen and always try new things. There are many variations of this Asian recipe, it is just a matter of trying and experimenting to discover new flavors and cooking styles.