Recipe for Manchego or Galician gazpachos
The recipe I bring today is a bit peculiar. Is he manchego gazpacho or manchego gazpachos And if you are not from Castilla-La Mancha, cold tomato soup with other vegetables, typical of southern Spain, probably comes to mind.
Well, it turns out that this dish is very far from Andalusian gazpacho. It's about a stew of pastoral and peasant origin cooked with game meats such as partridge, chicken, hare or rabbit .
This plate, It is traditionally eaten with what is known as cakes cenceñas . A type of cake prepared from flour and water. Originally, Cenceñas cakes were used as a plate and as cutlery to eat the Manchego gazpacho dish.
The first time I tried this stew was on a car route I took through Spain. In a restaurant in a town near Albacete I ordered gazpacho. I remember that I had to make sure with the waiter that they had brought me the correct dish because I was expecting the typical Andalusian gazpacho.
I really liked this recipe and for this reason I have decided to bring it to my cooking blog. It is relatively easy to prepare. The only problem is getting the Cenceñas cakes , since if we do not live in Castilla-La Mancha we will not find them in supermarkets.
But do not worry! I leave you the recipe for the cakes below so you can cook them at home.
Put on your apron and get cooking!
Don't you have any ingredients? Here are other similar recipes
How to make Manchego gazpacho
- In a saucepan or pot we add about 3-4 tablespoons of olive oil. We let it heat up. Meanwhile we can season the meat with a little salt and pepper.
- Once the oil is hot, add the chicken and the cut and seasoned rabbit. Sauté until the meat begins to brown.
- While the meat is cooking we can cut the vegetables. Cut the peppers in half, remove the seeds, wash and cut into small pieces.
- We peel the onion and chop it into pieces. We do the same with the garlic cloves.
- Once we have all the well-chopped vegetables, add them to the meat and let cook for about 10 minutes until the vegetables begin to be done.
- Next we add the natural tomato sauce (optionally it can also be with fried tomato). We also add the thyme, sweet paprika and nutmeg. If we decide to prepare the recipe with mushrooms, it is time to put them well laminated with the rest of the ingredients.
- We fry for 5-10 more minutes. It is important to keep stirring the mixture to get the flavors to merge.
- Add the water and let cook for another 30-40 minutes. Before removing the pot or casserole from the heat, it is important to check that the meat is very tender. Otherwise, we leave the ingredients on the fire for a few more minutes.
- Once the chicken and rabbit are well cooked, add the chopped cenceña cake. If you are not in Castilla la Mancha it will be difficult to find it in the supermarket. Below, we leave you the recipe so that you can prepare it step by step at home.
- Now we can enjoy a good traditional dish from the lands of Castilla: Manchego gazpachos.
Preparation of the cenceñas cakes
- We take a container, we add plenty of hot water. A little more than half the bowl will be enough. We preheat the oven to 220 ºC with the upper and lower heat source.
- Little by little we are adding the flour into the water until a ball without lumps is formed. While we add the flour we can also add a little salt to the mixture.
- We stretch the dough with the help of a rolling pin. We place it on a tray suitable for baking, on top of baking paper.
- With the help of a fork we prick all the dough to let the air out.
- Once the oven is at its temperature, we place the tray with the dough inside and let it bake for about 15-20 minutes.
- Once the cake is cooked, we take it out of the oven and cut them into squares with our hands.
- We already have some good traditional Cenceña cakes prepared and ready to add them to our rabbit and chicken Manchego gazpacho.