Easy coconut panellet recipe
The panellets are a traditional recipe that is part of Catalan history . It is tradition to eat them on All Saints' Day, along with chestnuts and baked sweet potato.
It is thought that years ago panellets were offerings that were brought to the church during these dates when people are reminded that they are no longer with us.
The typical panellets are made of pine nuts . However, today we can find all kinds: almond, chocolate, orange, strawberry, lemon, coconut, vanilla, coffee or cinnamon.
Every year around this time I prepare chocolate and pine nut panellets. But this year has been different. I have dared to try new flavors and today I bring in the cosmorecetas blog one of the ones that I liked the most: the coconut panellet.
If you like panellets and coconut you have to try this recipe . It is simple to prepare. We simply need the typical ingredients of the panellet dough and we only have to add coconut shavings.
Some pastry chefs prepare coconut panellets without potatoes and using coconut milk to enhance the flavor of this fruit. I have prepared them with potato, as the panellet dough has always been made and I have not added coconut milk, only shavings.
I have prepared it this way since I did not want to lose the origin of the panellet since I consider that if we change the recipe then they are no longer panellets, but rather another type of sweet.
Another point to comment is that I have used potato, but you can also use sweet potato . If you prepare the panellets with sweet potato, it is advisable to use less sugar since the sweet potato per se is already sweeter than the potato.
Let's stop talking and cook!
Don't you have any ingredients? Here are other similar recipes
How to make coconut panellets
- The first step is to boil the potato in a saucepan so that it is very soft. In some recipes for coconut panellets they do not add potato, they do it directly with coconut and ground almonds. However, I like to add potatoes (or sweet potatoes) since that is how the traditional panellet dough is prepared.
- The cooking time of the potato depends a lot on how it is. To know the exact time, a trick is to poke it until the skewer can enter perfectly without making any effort. Once done, it is important to let it cool down, otherwise the panellet dough will not be done correctly.
- Once the potato is very soft and cold, peel it and add it to a bowl along with the sugar and ground almonds. The sugar can be white or brown, the type does not matter.
- We crush the whole mixture with force for a few minutes until it is a homogeneous mixture.
- Then we add 50 grams of grated coconut and mix everything again. In this way we will get the coconut flavor to remain inside the panellet mass.
- We let the dough cool in the refrigerator for at least 1 hour so that it acquires the correct texture and ensures a good result in the kitchen.
- After this time we take the mixture out of the fridge and make balls with our hands until all the dough is finished. Optionally they can be made in the shape of a cone since in many pastry shops they make coconut panellets with this shape. Reserve the panellet dough balls and preheat the oven to 180 ºC.
- Once the dough is finished, we break the egg and separate the white from the yolk. We beat the white a little and with a brush we spread it over one of the balls. Once well painted we take the remaining coconut and bathe it until it is well wrapped in coconut. We spread a little more white on top of the coconut-covered panellet and repeat the process with all the balls. This last brushstroke has the objective of giving it a golden touch on top when we bake them. In a baking tray we put baking paper and put all the coconut panellets that we have just prepared. We put the tray in the oven and let it cook for about 10 minutes at 180 ºC.
- We control the panellets until we see that they remain golden on top.
- All that remains is to take them out of the oven and enjoy this typical autumn and All Saints sweet with family or friends.